Introducing Havant and South Downs College
Havant Sixth Form College and South Downs College are in the process of developing an exciting partnership which on 1 August 2017 will see them opening their doors as the new multi-campus Havant and South Downs College.
The vision is to create an outstanding further education provider to meet the needs of our future students by building upon our existing strengths.
- Double the expertise– learning with leading subject and industry professionals
- Twice the choice– over 150 courses, 80 partnerships with universities and vibrant links with business and industry
- Dual campus– designed to raise students’ aspirations and meet their learning and lifestyle choices
- Digital innovation– learning through two pioneering ventures: Google and Microsoft
The new college creates the ultimate student journey, as well as growth in business and community partnerships, encompassing the right courses and programmes, lifestyle and employability opportunities to guide our students through their studies to reach their aspirational goals.
The new Havant and South Downs College is born from a partnership between the two successful colleges, Havant Sixth Form College and South Downs College. The successful partnership builds on the two colleges’ strengths and develops an even more outstanding further education provision to better meet employers’ and residents’ needs for high quality education and training.
By formally uniting through a merger it ensures the partners continue to offer a varied range of high quality education and training including academic, vocational and professional qualifications and apprenticeships, to young people and adults across South East Hampshire and West Sussex. Building on this, it enables new opportunities for a stronger partnership with business and civic leaders, helping to generate greater prosperity in the lives of the people we serve and the communities in which they live.
Both colleges see such a combination as providing significant benefits to all stakeholders and the wider community, including but not limited to:
- Establishing a larger A Level Centre of Excellence that will offer the most extensive choice of courses in the Southern region
- Becoming the region’s leading provider of professional and technical courses – offering students progression from GCSE through to Higher Education
- Optimising the use of the colleges’ assets, including their world class teaching professionals
- Employers benefiting from expanded Apprenticeship programmes and ease of access to future employees
- Ensuring a sustainable world class FE provision.
Mike Gaston, Principal of Havant Sixth Form College and South Downs College: “The world is changing fast. In a global economy with the rapid developments of the digital age, we are well aware of the importance and contribution of high value industries, services and jobs. Our new college enables students of all ages to develop the skills and attributes that will serve them, our local and regional economy and our society well into the future.”