Run by and for students, the Student Union (SU) at South Downs College supports all students within the College and gives the opportunity for students to help shape their life at College.
The Student Union is run by the Student Officers and the Sabbatical Officer, who are elected at the beginning of each College year. Any student that is part of the College, either full-time, part-time, or apprenticeship students can apply for any of the positions within the Union – election takes place following a student vote.
Learner Voice operates alongside the Student Union. Run by the Learner Voice Co-ordinator, Mark Hughes, the group meet three times a year to discuss a set of current topics with the Senior Leadership Team, Governors, and members of staff to enable student feedback towards making the changes that students would like to see at College.
Trips, events and support
The Student Union arranges a number of trips and activities for the students of South Downs College throughout the year. Trips in previous years include places like; Harry Potter Studios, Laser Quest, Thorpe Park, Alton Towers and trips to the theatre. The Student Union also organises a number of charity events during the year. The office is always open if a student feels like they need to talk to another student confidentially or need advice on where to go for help.
NUS Extra discount card
All students have the opportunity to buy an NUS Extra discount card which allows students to get money off at a range of shopping outlets including clothing, eating out, travel, leisure activities and Student Union trips.
The card costs £12 for a year, £22 for 2 years and £32 for 3 years and is available to buy all year round. All students within the College, both full and part-time, are able to apply for the card online at cards.nusextra.co.uk/buy or in person at the Student Union office.
Two students are elected for the position of Student Governor. These students attend Corporation meetings, giving a voice in the overall running of the College, keeping students up to date on what is being discussed by the Governors.
The Student Union office is located in room 145, 1st floor by Café North.
- Adam Underwood, Vice President, Performing Arts BTEC Level 2
- William Robinson, Marketing and Media Officer, IT BTEC Level 3
- Imogen Rogers, Environment Officer, Animal Care HND
- Meg Wilson, Events and Activities Officer, English GCSE
- Nour Eddin Abu-Khalaf, Finance Officer, Business BTEC Level 3
- Thomas Bullock, Health and Wellbeing Officer, Sport and Exercise science BTEC Level 3
- Erykah Smyth, Women’s Representative, Health and Social Care BTEC Level 3
- Lauren Coutts, LGBT+ Representative, Health and Social Care BTEC Level 3
- Oliver Sherwood, LGBT+ Representative, Animal Care HND
- Toni Sharp, Equality and Diversity Officer, Animal Care HND
- Nicole Verne, Women’s Representative, A Levels
- Georgina Cook, Sabbatical President, College Staff
- Mark Hughes, Learner Voice Co-ordinator, College Staff