Welcome to South Downs College Library. The Library provides a variety of resources and facilities to support and enhance learning for all students during their time at College. We have a professionally qualified, experienced and friendly staff to help students with any enquiries and to assist students use of the Library and IT facilities.
“The Library is a good place to meet up with friends or to use the quiet area to get on with work. There’s enough computers (student comment, 2016)”.
Students enjoy using the Library as a place to study. It is a great place to work as a group or as an individual in a quiet area – we also have a silent study room. There is a lively busy atmosphere during the day with lots of students using the facilities, and a peaceful relaxed time during evening opening hours and College holidays.
You will find a well-resourced Library with digital resources (e-books, online journals), books, magazines etc and the support to find the information you need for your course.
Library networked computers (PCs and Apple Macs) with high-speed internet access are managed by ‘MyPC’ booking system which allows students to drop in and use a PC or pre-book to guarantee a workstation in advance. There is excellent Wi-Fi and a number of plug sockets for students with their own mobile devices.
Like the rest of the College, the Library offers a wide range of additional needs support should students wish to use it (for example wheelchair access, text magnification). This support includes friendly, knowledgeable staff who are always happy to help.
- Group – group work tables for social study
- Quiet – individual study booths
- Silent – silent room with computers
- Computer rooms – walk up and bookable PCs and Apple Macs
- Group presentation room – small room to practice presentations
Wi-Fi and plug sockets available for laptop/mobile devices
- E-books and books
- Magazines and newspapers
- Streamed TV and radio programmes
- Online databases e.g. JSTOR
- Interlibrary loan service
Computers and IT facilities
- PCs – you can drop in and use PCs, book in advance online, or ask the library staff to book a PC for you
- Apple Macs – are available for students given an Apple Mac account by IT Services
- Wi-Fi – provides good coverage for laptops and mobile devices
- Plug sockets for laptop users
Printing, photocopying and scanning
- Follow me printers are located around the College, there is a greyscale printer in the Library and colour printer opposite the Library entrance
- Printing and copying cost approximately 5p per A4 sheet, scanning is free
- To pay for printing and photocopying, students can use Wisepay or cash at the kiosk in the link way
- Specialised printing and binding is available from Reprographics
Stationery and College ID cards
- A limited range of essential stationery (pens, paper, rulers etc) can be purchased with cash
- ID cards -the Library can provide a replacement for a small fee if an ID card is lost. All students are provided with an ID card at the start of their course
Our opening hours during term time are:
Opening times vary during the holidays and are advertised in advance. Please call the Library before making a special journey.
Telephone: 023 9279 7976