Hairdressing Services Level 2 Diploma (VRQ)
This one year course is designed for anyone who is interested in the Hairdressing Industry; it will cover a range of employment possibilities in a salon covering a variety of skills.
A minimum of four GCSEs at grade D, including English and Science. You will need to have a minimum of grade E in GCSE Mathematics.
You will also be required to take an English and Maths qualification alongside your course. This may be either Pre-GCSE, GCSE or a functional skill.
– Health and Safety practice in the Salon
– Working in the Hair Industry
– Client consultation for hair services
– Shampoo and condition the hair and scalp
– The Art of Dressing
– Create an image based on a theme within the Hair and Beauty Sector
– Salon Reception duties
– Display stock to promote sales in a salon
– Plaiting and Twisting hair
– Promote products and services to clients in a Salon
– Colour hair using temporary colour
– Provide scalp massage services
The course involves a considerable amount of practical work. During workshop sessions there will be a demonstration of skills, which you will then practice on each other and then progress to working on paying clients. There are also separate theory and assignment writing classes, to develop your knowledge and understanding of all aspects of Hairdressing.
Practical assessments, oral questioning, written evidence and mandatory exams.
You will be required to record in a log book all your evidence of Hairdressing skills performed.
Progression would be:
– Hairdressing Receptionist
– Hairdressing Technician
– Hairdressing Retail Consultant
– Junior hairdresser
– Junior Barber
– Level 3 Diploma in Hairdressing (included will be a separate cutting and colouring
The Hairdressing Industry does have an accepted dress code and all students will be expected to comply with these standards of dress when working in the Beauty Salon and theory lessons. Facial piercings are not acceptable in the Salon and must be removed before entering classes. Students on this course should allow at least 5 hours per week for home study.
Child care is available in the South Downs College Nursery. Places are limited so ensure that you make arrangements as soon as possible.
Office use: 23/09/2015