Functional Skills – English
Do you struggle with English in everyday life? Is it difficult to understand or respond to formal letters and emails? Do you struggle with completing forms or reading stories to your children? Would you like to undertake a GCSE in English in the future but know that you are not ready for it yet? If so then consider Functional Skills English as a way of helping you move forward. Functional Skills classes are available to anyone over the age of 16 who would like to develop their English skills in Reading, Writing and Speaking and Listening. We offer classes at all levels from Entry 1 (beginner) through to Level 2 (Just before GCSE).
No prior qualifications are required.
All learners will undertake an assessment with an experienced member of the Skills for Life team who will identify which level you are working towards. (There are 5 different levels.) We will then discuss the different classes that are available to you depending on your personal circumstances and time commitments.
Following the initial assessment to identify your level, you will then work on your Reading, Writing and Speaking and Listening skills at the appropriate level.
– How to plan and draft writing and produce legible text
– Use different styles of writing and punctuate correctly
– Write in complete sentences and spell correctly using a variety of techniques
– Use format and structure for different purposes
– Present information appropriately
– Use correct grammar and punctuation
– Scan different texts to locate information
– Obtain specific information from a text and decode words
– Read and recognise sentence structures and recognise different purposes of texts
– Follow a narrative, skim read and identify main points within a text.
– Recognise and understand organisational features
– Support arguments with evidence and make relevant contributions in discussions.
You will be encouraged to undertake a range of tasks in a small classroom environment with support from the teacher in preparation for moving you through the level and preparing you for the exam at the end of the course.
There are 3 exams
– Speaking and Listening.
Exams can be taken at various times throughout the course and your teacher will discuss with you the best time for you to sit the exam.
You need to have an A4 folder and bring Paper and Pens to the class. All other materials will be provided.
Functional Skills Award in English
Following completion of Functional Skills Level 2 you can move onto a GCSE English Programme, Apprenticeship or other college programme.
Classes take place at the main College campus and a range of different venues across the local area and Portsmouth. This means that there could be a class running near to your home.
We can also support with Childcare costs if required.
This course information is accurate at the time of printing but is subject to change. For further advice or guidance, please contact 023 9279 7984.
Office use: 29/07/2015